Caregiving Situations and
- Kidman, R., & Heymann, J. (2016). Caregiver supportive policies to improve child outcomes in the wake of the HIV/AIDS epidemic: an analysis of the gap between what is needed and what is available in 25 high prevalence countries. AIDS care, 28(sup2), 142-152.
- Embleton, L., Nyandat, J., Ayuku, D., Sang, E., Kamanda, A., Ayaya, S., … & Galarraga, O. (2017). Sexual Behavior Among Orphaned Adolescents in Western Kenya: A Comparison of Institutional-and Family-Based Care Settings. Journal of Adolescent Health, 60(4), 417-424.
- Kamath, S. M., Venkatappa, K. G., & Sparshadeep, E. M. (2017). Impact of Nutritional Status on Cognition in Institutionalized Orphans: A Pilot Study. Journal of clinical and diagnostic research: JCDR, 11(3), CC01.
- Gray CL, BW Pence, J Ostermann, RA Whetten, K O’Donnell, NM Thielman, K Whetten and The POFO Study Team. Prevalence and incidence of traumatic experiences among orphans in institutional and family-based settings in five low- and middle- income countries. Global Health: Science and Practice. Aug 2015
Kohen, Dafna, and Anne Guavremont. 2014. “Income Disparities in Preschool Outcomes and the Role of Family, Child, and Parenting Factors“. Early Child Development and Care. 184, no. 2: 266-292.
- Embleton, L., Ayuku, D., Kamanda, A., Atwoli, L., Ayaya, S., Vreeman, R., … & Braitstein, P. (2014). Models of care for orphaned and separated children and upholding children’s rights: cross-sectional evidence from western Kenya. BMC international health and human rights, 14(1), 9.
Merz, Emily C., Robert B. McCall, and Victor Groza. 2013. “Parent-Reported Executive Functioning in Postinstitutionalized Children: A Follow-Up Study“. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology. 1-8.
Morantz, G., D. C. Cole, S. Ayaya, D. Ayuku, and P. Braitstein. 2013. “Maltreatment Experiences and Associated Factors Prior to Admission to Residential Care: A Sample of Institutionalized Children and Youth in Western Kenya“. CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT. 37, no. 10: 778-787.
Olawale, Olajide A., Abraham N. Deih, and Raphael K. Yaadar. 2013. “Psychological Impact of Cerebral Palsy on Families: The African Perspective”. Journal of Neurosciences in Rural Practice. 4, no. 2: 159.
Groark, Christina J., Robert B. McCall, Stephanie K. McCarthy, Joan C. Eichner, and Amy D. Gee. 2013. “Structure, Caregiver–child Interactions, and Children’s General Physical and Behavioral Development in Three Central American Institutions“.International Perspectives in Psychology: Research, Practice, Consultation. 2, no. 3: 207-224.
Smyke AT, Zeanah CH Jr, Fox NA, Nelson CA. A new model of foster care for young children: the Bucharest early intervention project. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2009 Jul;18(3):721-34. doi: 10.1016/j.chc.2009.03.003.
Zeanah, C. H., S. F. Koga, B. Simion, A. Stanescu, C. L. Tabacaru, N. A. Fox, and C. A. Nelson. 2006. “Ethical Considerations in International Research Collaboration: The Bucharest Early Intervention Project“. Infant Mental Health Journal.27, no. 6: 559-576.
Hong, Yan, Xiaoming Li, Xiaoyi Fang, Guoxiang Zhao, Junfeng Zhao, Qun Zhao, Xiuyun Lin, Liying Zhang, and Bonita Stanton. 2011. “Care Arrangements of AIDS Orphans and Their Relationship with Children Psychosocial Well-Being in Rural China“.Health Policy and Planning. 26, no. 2: 115-123.
The St. Petersburg-USA Orphanage Research Team. 2005. “Characteristics of Children, Caregivers, and Orphanages for Young Children in St. Petersburg, Russian Federation“. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology: An International Lifespan Journal. 26, no. 5: 477-506.
Fakunmoju, S.B., F.O. Bammeke, T. Antwi Bosiakoh, R.K.B. Asante, N.R. Wooten, A.C. Hill, and H. Karpman. 2013. “Perception and Determination of Child Maltreatment: Exploratory Comparisons Across Three Countries“. Children and Youth Services Review. 35, no. 9: 1418-1430.
Schreck, CM, Meyer, CDP, Weilbach, JT, and Steyn, MM. The Benefits and Necessity of Recreation for AIDS Orphans: Through the Eyes of a Child. African Journal for Physical, Health Education, Recreation and Dance; Vol 18 (2012): Supplement 3; 105-117. LAM Publications Limited, 2013.
Tapologo Maundeni, Tumani Malinga-Musamba. The role of informal caregivers in the well-being of orphans in Botswana: a literature review. Child & Family Social Work. Volume 18, Issue 2, pages 107–116, May 2013.
Skinner D, C Sharp, S Jooste, S Mfecane, and L Simbayi. 2013. “A Study of Descriptive Data for Orphans and Non-Orphans on Key Criteria of Economic Vulnerability in Two Municipalities in South Africa“. Curationis. 36, no. 1: 1-8.
Wathen, C Nadine, MacGregor, Jennifer CD, Hammerton, Joanne, Coben, Jeffrey H, Herrman, Helen, Stewart, Donna E, and MacMillan, Harriet L. Priorities for Research in Child Maltreatment, Intimate Partner Violence and Resilience to Violence Exposures: Results of an International Delphi Consensus Development Process. BioMed Central, 2012.
Ssewamala, Fred M., Elizabeth Sperber, Clair A. Blake, and Vilma P. Ilic. 2012. “Increasing Opportunities for Inner-City Youth: The Feasibility of an Economic Empowerment Model in East Harlem and the South Bronx, New York“. Children and Youth Services Review. 34, no. 1: 218-224.
Boivin MJ, RA Busman, SM Parikh, P Bangirana, CF Page, RO Opoka, and B Giordani. 2010. “A Pilot Study of the Neuropsychological Benefits of Computerized Cognitive Rehabilitation in Ugandan Children with HIV.”. Neuropsychology. 24, no. 5: 667-73.
- Morah, E., S. Mebrathu, and K. Sebhatu. 1998. “Evaluation of the Orphans Reunification Project in Eritrea“. Evaluation and Program Planning. 21, no. 4: 437-448.
- Kuo C, and D Operario. 2011. “Health of Adults Caring for Orphaned Children in an HIV-Endemic Community in South Africa”.AIDS Care. 23, no. 9: 1128-35.
- Littrell M, NW Boris, L Brown, M Hill, and K Macintyre. 2011. “The Influence of Orphan Care and Other Household Shocks on Health Status Over Time: a Longitudinal Study of Children’s Caregivers in Rural Malawi”. AIDS Care. 23, no. 12: 1551-61.
- Mmari, Kristin. 2011. “Exploring the Relationship between Caregiving and Health: Perceptions Among Orphaned and Non-Orphaned Adolescents in Tanzania”. Journal of Adolescence. 34, no. 2: 301-309.
- Campbell, Catherine, Skovdal, Morten, Mupambireyi, Zivai, Madanhire, Claudius, Nyamukapa, Constance, and Gregson, Simon.Building Adherence-Competent Communities: Factors Promoting Children’s Adherence to Anti-Retroviral HIV/AIDS Treatment in Rural Zimbabwe. Pergamon, 2012.
- Skovdal, Morten, Winnie Mwasiaji, Albert Webale, and Andrew Tomkins. 2011. “Building Orphan Competent Communities: Experiences from a Community-Based Capital Cash Transfer Initiative in Kenya”. Health Policy and Planning. 26, no. 3: 233-241.
- Betancourt, T.S., T.P. Williams, S.E. Kellner, J. Gebre-Medhin, K. Hann, and Y. Kayiteshonga. 2012. “Interrelatedness of Child Health, Protection and Well-Being: An Application of the SAFE Model in Rwanda”. Social Science & Medicine. 74, no. 10: 1504-1511.
- Williams, Timothy P., Agnes Binagwaho, and Theresa S. Betancourt. 2012. “Transactional Sex As a Form of Child Sexual Exploitation and Abuse in Rwanda: Implications for Child Security and Protection”. Child Abuse &Amp; Neglect. 36, no. 4: 354 – 361.
- Bryant, M., J. Beard, L. Sabin, M. I. Brooks, N. Scott, B. A. Larson, G. Biemba, C. Miller, and J. Simon. 2012. “PEPFAR’s Support For Orphans And Vulnerable Children: Some Beneficial Effects, But Too Little Data, And Programs Spread Thin”. Health Affairs. 31, no. 7: 1508-1518.
- Hallfors, Denise D., Hyunsan Cho, Isabella Mbai, Benson Milimo, and Janet Itindi. 2012. “Process and Outcome Evaluation of a Community Intervention for Orphan Adolescents in Western Kenya”. Journal of Community Health : The Publication for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention. 37, no. 5: 1101-1109.
- Boothby, N., et al. 2012. “What Are the Most Effective Early Response Strategies and Interventions to Assess and Address the Immediate Needs of Children Outside of Family Care?” Child Abuse & Neglect. 36, no. 10: 711-721.
- Robertson, L., et al. 2012. “Household-Based Cash Transfer Targeting Strategies in Zimbabwe: Are We Reaching the Most Vulnerable Children?” Social Science & Medicine. 75, no. 12: 2503-2508.
- Stack DM, LA Serbin, N Girouard, LN Enns, VM Bentley, JE Ledingham, and AE Schwartzman. 2012. “The Quality of the Mother-Child Relationship in High-Risk Dyads: Application of the Emotional Availability Scales in an Intergenerational, Longitudinal Study”. Development and Psychopathology. 24, no. 1: 93-105.
- McGoron L, MM Gleason, AT Smyke, SS Drury, Nelson CA 3rd, MC Gregas, NA Fox, and CH Zeanah. 2012. “Recovering from Early Deprivation: Attachment Mediates Effects of Caregiving on Psychopathology”. Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. 51, no. 7: 683-93.
- O’Donnell K, R Murphy, J Ostermann, M Masnick, RA Whetten, E Madden, NM Thielman, and K Whetten. 2012. “A Brief Assessment of Learning for Orphaned and Abandoned Children in Low and Middle Income Countries”. AIDS and Behavior. 16, no. 2: 480-90.
- Kuo C, and D Operario. 2011. “Health of Adults Caring for Orphaned Children in an HIV-Endemic Community in South Africa“.AIDS Care. 23, no. 9: 1128-35.
- Kuo C, D Operario, and L Cluver. 2012. “Depression Among Carers of AIDS-Orphaned and Other-Orphaned Children in Umlazi Township, South Africa“. Global Public Health.7, no. 3: 253-69.
- Kuo, Caroline, Jane Fitzgerald, Don Operario, and Marisa Casale. 2012. “Social Support Disparities for Caregivers of AIDS-Orphaned Children in South Africa”. Journal of Community Psychology. 40, no. 6: 631-644.
- Monica H. Swahn; Jane B. Palmier; Rogers Kasirye; Huang Yao. Correlates of Suicide Ideation and Attempt among Youth Living in the Slums of Kampala. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health; Volume 9; Issue 2; Pages 596-609.
- Swahn, Monica H, Gressard, Lindsay, Palmier, Jane B, Kasirye, Rogers, Lynch, Catherine, and Yao, Huang. Serious Violence Victimization and Perpetration Among Youth Living in the Slums of Kampala, Uganda. Department of Emergency Medicine, University of California, Irvine, 2012.
- Dorsey S, SE Kerns, EW Trupin, KL Conover, and L Berliner. 2012. “Child Welfare Caseworkers As Service Brokers for Youth in Foster Care: Findings from Project Focus”. Child Maltreatment. 17, no. 1: 22-31.
- Knerr W., Gardner F., and Cluver L. 2013. “Improving Positive Parenting Skills and Reducing Harsh and Abusive Parenting in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: A Systematic Review”. Prevention Science. 14, no. 4: 352-363.
- Mannarino AP, JA Cohen, E Deblinger, MK Runyon, and RA Steer. 2012. “Trauma-Focused Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Children: Sustained Impact of Treatment 6 and 12 Months Later”. Child Maltreatment. 17, no. 3: 231-41.
- Morah, E., S. Mebrathu, and K. Sebhatu. 1998. “Evaluation of the Orphans Reunification Project in Eritrea”. Evaluation and Program Planning. 21, no. 4: 437-448.